ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF FACULTY MEMBERS
The faculty shall adhere to the Rules/Regulations/Responsibilities at all times. The rules, regulations & responsibilities are only indicative and not exhaustive. Non-adherence or non-compliance to the rules, regulations & responsibilities will be treated as dereliction of duties and suitable disciplinary action will be initiated against such employees/faculty members.
1. 1 Punctuality and attendance
- Teachers must report in time to duty as per the working hours prescribed and should be available in the campus unless and otherwise they are assigned duties elsewhere.
- Teachers should sign the attendance register while reporting for duty.
- The teachers must be punctual to the duty. They are expected to be present in the college campus in the morning at least 10 minutes before the College time
1. 2 BEHAVIORAL
The teaching profession expects high standards of ethical behavior. The faculty members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and befitting manner. The faculty members shall adhere to the ethical codes of conduct as listed below:
- The faculty shall not indulge in rude or abusive behavior, comment against superiors, make negative comments about other staff members, verbal attacks, which are of a personal, threatening, abusive and irrelevant nature or go beyond fair and professional conduct
- Teachers should maintain decorum both inside and outside the classroom and set a good example to the students.
- The faculty shall desist from un-authorized distribution of printed material etc. The faculty shall also desist from falsifying/tampering any records or documents;
- The faculty shall desist from getting involved in un-authorized activities leading to financial benefit.
- The faculty shall desist from exhibiting non-ethical behavior that jeopardize the moral standards of the Institution
- The faculty shall comply with the rules, regulations, and policies of the Management from time to time
1. 3 ACADEMIC
- To conduct the assigned classes as per schedule; To maintain the record of lesson plans and other relevant documents of the courses handled by them;
- To implement designated curriculum with the said objectives
- To participate in professional development opportunities/ activities and apply the concepts in academic activities such as class room delivery & also in practical sessions;
- The faculty shall share information, work on projects, enable students to reflect on learning that takes place in internships, or outdoor activities thereby help in improving Teaching and Learning Process.
- Teachers should handle the subjects assigned by the Head of the Department.
- Teachers should complete the syllabus in time. Teachers shall produce good results in the subjects handled by them and are accountable for the same.
- Three Internal Assessment Tests are to be conducted for each semester. Test papers are to be valued and marks to be informed to the students in time. Marks for the assignments, Internal Assessment Tests, Seminars if attended are to be entered in the cumulative records.
- Teachers should carry out other academic, co-curricular and organizational activities that may be assigned to them from time to time.
1. 4 CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT
- To come well prepared for the class and stay focused on the topic/content
- Be present in classroom right in time (near the classroom two minutes prior to the scheduled commencement
- To mark attendance within the first ten minutes of the scheduled class hour. The student entering the class after ten minutes can only avail the benefit of lecture and not the attendance
- To be self-confident and facilitate quality delivery of the subject
- Involve visual and activity based learning wherever possible, make power point presentations (PPT) in addition to conventional use of black board depending on the subject & necessity
- Shall not advance, post-pone, let-off or suspend a scheduled class without authorization from the concerned HOD/Principal; Shall handle the assigned practical classes and be available in the designated place for the full time
- A class be it theory or practical a teacher shall handle the class for the complete duration of the said class
- Absence from duty without authorization is not permitted and will be viewed seriously.
1. 5 STUDENT RELATED
- To motivate students to show interest and learn the most
- To be available for the students even after class hours to clarify their doubts, if any
- To provide students a detailed set of possible questions for all the topics in order to guide/prepare them for enhancing their knowledge & face the examination confidently
- To treat students with respect, and teach them to treat others with respect
- To motivate and help students to do minor educational projects in related area/topics (suggested by you & chosen by the Student himself/herself), so that their analytical and self-learning skills improve
- To handle gently but firmly, any misbehavior of students and weed out the cause.
1. 6 ROLE AS PROCTOR/COUNSELOR/MENTOR
- As a proctor, the faculty shall advise/counsel the student on all the academic matters (like registration/re-registration for the courses, dropping of courses and/or withdrawing from courses)
- He/she must meet the assigned students at least once in every fortnight. Shall report to the HOD/Principal about those students who avoid meeting the Proctor
- He/she shall understand student difficulties and counsel as per individual situations. Ensure that the academic progression of a student is continuously monitored and assessed
- Keep the parents appraised about the academic progress and general behavior of their wards.
- To ensure maintenance of cumulative record in accurate, complete, and appropriate manner. The cumulative record is to be regularly updated with the comprehensive information of the student’s academic progress with proper verification
- The proctor should serve as a friend, philosopher and guide.
- Tutor-ward system must be effectively implemented. Teachers shall monitor the progress of the respective group of students attached to them.
- Teachers should act as good counselors and Facilitators. They should help, guide, encourage and assist the students to ensure that the Teaching-Learning Process is effective and successful. Value based education must be the motto.
1. 7 Casual Leave
- A staff [who has put in one or more years of service] is credited a Casual Leave [CL] of days in each calendar year
- In case of newly appointed faculty/staff members, a day’s CL shall be granted for every completed service of one month for a period up to one year
- After completion of one year of service, the CL shall be granted in proportion [pro-rata] to the period remaining till December of that year.
- CL not exceeding seven days during one period of absence exclusive of Sundays and holidays shall be granted provided that such period of absence shall not exceed ten days
- CL cannot be combined with any type of leave
- CL cannot be claimed as right. The Casual Leave shall be get sanctioned before a staff avails or proceeds on leave
- Where a staff is unable to attend due to illness or other sufficient cause and obtain orders of the Competent Authority in time, he/she may be granted casual leave subsequently if he/she established to the satisfaction of such authority that he/she was unable to attend his/her duty or duties for reasons beyond his/her control.
1. 8 General Leave Rules
- Prior written permission is required from the Principal at least one day in advance while availing CL or OD.
- Not more than 25% of staff members in a Department will be allowed to go on OD / CL / RH on a particular working day.
- Five days or the maximum period of central valuation work at a stretch whichever is longer will be allowed as OD in a year.
- All must report for duty on the reopening day and the last working day of each semester.
- Medical Leave will be sanctioned only for medical grounds. Medical Certificate will be verified for its genuineness.
- Leave for higher studies will be granted at the discretion of the management.
- The newly appointed faculty/staff members are eligible for only Casual Leave for every completed service of one month for a period up to one year.
- The staff is eligible for all other leave benefits only after completion of one years’ satisfactory service in the College.
- Leave cannot be claimed as a right. Discretion is reserved to the PRINCIPAL to grant leave to refuse or revoke leave at any time according to the exigencies;
- A staff who remains absent from duty without leave [for a period of four months or more] may be liable to be dismissed or removed from service
- Any kind of leave under these rules may be granted in combination with or in continuation of any other kind of leave (except casual leave)
- Prior written permission should be obtained for reporting late in the morning or leaving early in the evening without detriment to their duties. This is subject to restrictions as regards frequency. Permission for going out of the College shall not be given during the class hours.
1. 9 Maternity Leave
- A female staff may be granted maternity leave for a period of 180 days from the date of its commencement.
- Maternity leave may also be granted in case of miscarriage or abortion including abortion induced under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971 (but not threatened abortion), subject to the conditions that – (a) the leave does not exceed six weeks; and (b) the application for leave is supported by a medical certificate from a Registered Medical Practitioner
- Maternity leave under clause 1.9.1 or clause 1.9.2 above shall not be admissible to a female staff who has two or more living children.
- Maternity leave may be combined with vacation or any other kind of leave. Such leave not exceeding sixty days may be granted without production of medication certificate.
- Leave in further continuation of leave granted under clause 1.9.4 may be granted in the case of illness of the female staff subject to the production of a medical certificate from the authorized Medical Officer. Such leave may also be granted in case of illness of a newly born baby, subject to production of a medical certificate from the authorised Medical Officer to the effect that the condition of ailing baby warrants personal attention and that her presence by the baby’s side is absolutely necessary.
1. 10 Paternity Leave
- A male staff may be granted paternity leave during the confinement of his wife for a period of fifteen days from the date of its commencement.
- It shall not be admissible to a male staff who has two or more living children
- It may be combined with any other kind of leave except casual leave.
- It cannot be en-cashed or merged with earned leave.
1. 11 Publication of Research Papers & Books and Participation in Research Projects, Seminars, Conferences etc.
- He/She shall discharge the responsibilities assigned in teaching/research/consultancy and administrative diligently in honest and unbiased manner with total commitment.
- Absence from duty to the following events/activities will be treated as on duty and may be suitably rewarded at the discretion of the management either monetarily or by Way of consideration during promotion.
- Seminars and Conferences.
- Research projects
- Quality improvement programme
- Practical Training in Industry
- Consultancy work as part of Industry – Institute interaction
1. 12 General Rules
- The faculty members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and co-operative manner.
- No teacher should involve himself/ herself in any act of moral turpitude on his / her part which may cause impairment or bring discredit to the institution.
- Teachers Associations should not be formed without the permission of the College Management.
- No teacher should involve himself or herself in any form of political activity inside or outside the campus.
- Decent dress code should be followed by the teachers which would be the role model to the students. Lady teachers should wear over-coats inside the Class rooms. Jeans pant & T-Shirts are prohibited.
- Teachers should not participate in any strikes or demonstrations either inside or outside the campus.
- Any instructions issued by the Competent Authority by way of Circulars from time to time must be complied with.
- No teacher shall send circulars / distribute handbills to the staff, organize meetings in the campus without permission from the Principal.
- Teachers are barred from using cell phones while taking classes.
- Teachers must always wear their identity badges while inside the college premises.
- Heads of Departments must submit the Department’s time table and individual work load separately to the Principal on the last working day of the previous semester. Any change thereafter must also be reported to the Principal in writing.
- Each Department must conduct at least three respective association meetings per semester.
- Teachers are expected to attend and extend cooperation to the Department association meetings, seminars etc and also college functions like Sports Day, College Day, Independence Day and Republic Day celebrations without fail.
- Teachers are expected to take up classes for students of Certificate, Diploma and other Career Oriented Programmes.
- In the absence of urgency, any representation to the Principal can be made in person only after College hours (4.00 p.m)
- For making any representation to the Principal, teachers should desist meeting the Principal as a group.
- Any communication such as leave letters, permission letters etc. to the principal/secretary should be routed through the proper channel.
- The Head of the department should submit the comprehensive report of the activities/achievements of the department faculty members to the principal in each semester.
- The faculty members having no classes should make themselves available in the concerned department.
- Any representation to the Government authority or University in the name of the College should be made, by the teacher, only after getting written permission from the Principal and the Secretary.
- Duties and Service conditions (standards of conduct) of the Teachers as framed under Sec.18 (2) of Tamil Nadu Private Colleges (Regulation) Act, 1976 are to be followed.
- The teacher should take precautions to product equipment, materials and facilities of the college. It is the responsibility of the HOD to maintain them in working condition. In case of any loss or damage to the property (like, tables, chairs, lab equipment’s, chemicals and electrical appliances) must be reported to the Principal in writing without delay. It is the duty of the HOD to monitor the work of the non teaching staff of their department.
- The HOD should plan in advance their departmental activities for the semester and submit the same to the Principal with the budget.
- Department meetings of Teachers shall be held only after 4.00 P.M. and not during class hours. No department staff meeting should be held at the cost of class hours.
- Attend and participate in the meetings, activities called/assigned by the HOD & Principal.
- To take up other duties and responsibilities prescribed by principal/management not limited to academic & evaluation work.
- They are required to conform to & follow the rules and regulations in force and brought in force from time to time.
- He/She shall not engage/take private tuitions.
- He/She shall not accept/proceed to undertake any duties/works outside the college without the prior approval of the authorities concerned namely HOD and Principal.
- Whenever a teacher is deputed/permitted to take up an assignment outside the college, the concerned should submit proof of attendance and the same should be recorded in the department.
- Teachers must be aware that their workload is 30 hours per week even though their maximum class hours are only 16 a week.
1. 13 Disciplinary Action
- Violation or non-observance of the service rules will invite disciplinary action as per the Tamil Nadu Private Colleges (Regulation) Act, 1976.
- Non- adherence or non-compliance to the rules, regulations & responsibilities approved by the College Committee will be treated as dereliction of duties and suitable disciplinary action will be initiated against such employees/faculty members.